Against which types of back pain is the use of tendo suitable?
Most back pain is not a sign of a serious disease (85 - 90 % are non-specific). They are usually caused by dysfunctions in the moving parts of the spine (muscles, tendons and ligaments or joints). In all these cases, the use of TENDO to loosen and stretch the muscle chains involved, relieve the pressure on the intervertebral discs and mobilise the stressed joints is very useful.
Only very few back pains are due to spinal damage (specific back pain). Even in these cases, the use of TENDO can bring strong relief. E.g. for:
- Back pain caused by intervertebral discs
- Lumbago (acute back pain, "lumbago")
- Herniated disc with nerve pain (sciatica)
- Spinal canal stenosis, narrowing of the nerve exits (stenoses)
- Arthritis of the vertebral joint
In case of doubt, discuss with the attending doctor or therapist whether spinal traction is suitable.
In an acute pain phase, wait 1-2 days or do the warm-up exercises very carefully.
Can I also use tendo after a slipped disc?
The intervertebral discs are elastic cushions between the vertebral bodies. Through inappropriate weight-bearing or degenerative changes the anulus can tear and parts of the inside of the intervertebral disc enter the spinal canal. We speak of a slipped disc and this can lead to minor or major pain.
Even in these cases TENDO can create relief as the pressure on the intervertebral disc, and hence also on the spinal nerves, is reduced and the reduction of the prolapsed pulpous nucleus can be accelerated.
Is tendo suitable for different body types?
Due to the different back parts, tendo can be adjusted in size. tendo can therefore be used by people with different body sizes. Simply order the appropriate back part (tendo size pad).
In addition, tendo can be easily adapted to different body types by adjusting the back section.
For women, we recommend a V-shaped adjustment so that there is more room for the chest.
For people with a pear-shaped physique, we recommend an A-shaped adjustment.
Try out the different options to get the most comfortable fit.
Is tendo suitable for problems in the neck area?
With tendo you cannot achieve traction, mobilisation or strengthening in the neck area as the immobilisation of the body occurs in the chest area and is therefore only effective from that point on.
Nevertheless, a strengthening of the upper back can occur due to the support work during tendo use.
For which conditions should training with tendo not be performed or only after consultation with a doctor?
- Severe neurological symptoms (inner thigh numbness, bladder and rectal dysfunction).
- Spinal cord compression
- Spinal tumours, infections, TB
- Rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis
- Unhealed fracture
Are there scientifically proven effects of traction treatment?
There are many studies that prove that traction treatment has an effect.
Traction with tendo has a positive effect on the following areas:
- Intervertebral disc protrusions: Decrease of intervertebral disc protrusions
- Nutrition: Osmotic pressure increases, the inflow of water is increased = improvement of intervertebral disc nutrition
- Intervertebral disc pressure: Decrease in external intervertebral disc pressure
- Healing of intervertebral disc tears: Stretching of disc fibres - stimulates collagen (connective tissue) synthesis.
- Improvement of shock absorption: pores of the intervertebral disc ring become smaller, thus improving water retention.
- Stability: by increasing height, ligaments are tightened again = more stability.
Nerve root, nerve canal, vertebral joints, blood circulation
- Decrease in swelling of ligaments and fat cushions in the nerve canal, less compression on nerve root
- Increase in the space between the vertebrae
- Enlargement of the spinal canal
- Enlargement of the exit canals of the spinal nerves
- Flushing of the nerve canal, improvement of venous outflow
Vertebral joints - increase in space
- Relief of the vertebral joints by increasing the space between the vertebral joints
- Stimulation of the receptors in the joint capsules = pain relief
Muscle chains - fascia
- Stretching of the ventral, dorsal and lateral muscle chains
- Loosening of stuck and matted fasciae